Pages within a section
Adding and configuring pages
Within your test, the test questions are situated on the pages. Each page must be assigned to a specific section of the test.
Adding a new page
To append a new page to a section, select the red plus icon located at the bottom of the last page in the relevant section. Next, choose "Page" from the available options.
Editing the content of a page
To modify the content of a page, select the Pencil icon situated in the same row as the page you want to edit.
The page designer
With the page designer, you can add content and test questions to a page. To include either of these, access the red plus button located at the bottom-right corner of the page designer.
Adding static content into the page
To create new content on your page, select "Content" from the presented options. Once selected, construct the content you wish to add, which can include a variety of text and rich media elements, such as images, audio or video clips, mathematical expressions, formulas, and file attachments.
Adding a test question into the page by constructing it from scratch
Select one of the question types presented to create and add a test question into the page:
- Multiple choice question
- Matching question
- Input question (including all its sub-types)
Adding test questions from the question bank
Choose "Browse question bank" option to navigate to your question bank and select the test questions you would like to add into the page.
Prior to adding the chosen questions, take note of the top bar, which presents additional options that can impact how the questions are incorporated into your test.
Adding test questions by reference
The default setting is to add all the selected test questions into your test by reference. This means that any modifications made to the questions in the question bank will also apply to the corresponding questions in your test, with the exception of the scoring parameters. The point, negative multiplier, and associated dimensions are always copied into the test, allowing you to customize them without altering the original questions or vice versa.
Adding test questions by copying
By choosing the "Add by copying questions" option, a complete duplicate of the selected questions will be generated and incorporated into your test, severing all connections with the original questions in the question bank.
Making questions required when adding them to your page
When you select the "Required" option, any test questions that you add to your test will be automatically marked as mandatory.
Making questions ineffective for scoring when adding them to your page
When you select the "Ineffective" option, any test questions that you add to your test will be automatically marked as "Ineffective".
Adding a content group into the page
A content group is a pre-assembled compilation of content and questions that can be utilized across multiple tests. You can store all of your content groups in a central location, and add any content group to your page as needed.
To add a content group to your page, choose the "Browse content groups" option and select the specific content group you wish to include.
Adding a random question selector into the page
The random question selector chooses a specified number of test questions from a designated pool of questions that you establish. This selection process occurs at the time of test compilation for each test-taker, ensuring that the questions are randomly picked and providing a distinct test-taking experience for each individual.
To add a random question selector to your page, select the "Random question selector" option. This will open a new dialog box, which allows you to configure the question pool and specify the number of questions to be randomly selected.
- Create a clear and descriptive title for the random question selector that will help you understand its operation.
- Set up the question pool by selecting the test questions that will be available for random selection.
- Enter the desired number of questions to be randomly selected from the configured question pool.
- If desired, select the "Answer is required" option to ensure that all randomly selected questions are mandatory for the test-taker.
- If desired, select the "Ineffective" option, to make all randomly selected questions ineffective for scoring purposes.
- If you wish to override the scoring parameters of the randomly selected questions, enable the advanced settings.
Adjusting the scoring parameters of randomly selected questions
The random question selector retains the references to the test questions within the configured question pool. Consequently, the randomly selected questions will be included in the test with their respective scoring parameters as defined in the question bank. However, this may not be ideal for certain use cases as the point value and dimensions of the questions can vary, resulting in different total scores and dimensions for each test-taker. To ensure that all selected questions have the same scoring parameters, it is recommended to adjust them accordingly. This will help to create a test with uniform total points and dimensions for all test-takers.
To standardize the scoring parameters for all randomly selected questions,
- Enable the advanced settings
- Input the desired scoring parameters.
Example test page
The page editor displays all the items you have included. Refer to the numbers on the screenshot below and their related descriptions to understand the layout of an example test page.
- The first item of the page is a simple content item.
- The second item is a reference to a question inside the question bank.
- The third item on the page is a dynamic random question selector that will insert three questions into the test by randomly selecting them from the pre-configured question pool.
- On the right side of the page editor, you can find the configuration options for each item. You can edit the related item by clicking on the blue pencil button or delete the item using the red Delete button
- To change the order of the items, you can use the arrow icons located on the left side of each item to move it up or down.
- You can include a sidebar to the test page either on the left or on the right column.
Making a test question mandatory
You can mark all page items except the content item as "Required", which will make it mandatory for the test-taker to answer those questions.
Making a test question ineffective for scoring
You can mark all items in the test page, except the content item, as "Ineffective," which will prevent the questions from affecting the scores of the test.
Adding a sidebar to the test page
A sidebar can be added to the test page, which can be positioned either on the left or right column. To add a sidebar
- Click the sidebar button (6) at the top of the page editor. A new dialog will appear.
- Select the "Active" option to activate the sidebar, .
- Choose the position of the sidebar, either on the left or on the right, by selecting the corresponding option.
- Add the content you want to include in the sidebar of the test page.
To configure the settings of a page in the Test Designer, click on the blue gear icon located within the same row as the page you wish to modify.
The Page settings dialog box will open, giving you the ability to modify:
- Enter a name for the page
- Activate the Shuffle mode to randomize the order of items for each test-taker.
- Set up a time limit for the page
Shuffling of the items with the page
When you enable the Shuffle option in the page settings, the items within the page will be randomly ordered for each test-taker. However, if you want to keep some of the items in their original positions and prevent them from being randomized, you can mark them as exceptions by selecting the Fixed option.
Talk to sales
Want to learn more about Testinvite?Schedule a demo